Last week, I proclaimed that Hofstra needed to get to the CAA final to truly have a shot at an at-large.
Now that they did, and beat George Mason for the second time in a couple weeks the CAA might get three bids.
The best thing that could happen tonight for the league is for Hofstra to win. George Mason is a lock, and UNC Wilmington is likely in barring an embarrassment. The Patriots did probably kill off any chance that they would have had of a single-digit seed.
With Hofstra's win, they improve to 3-1 against the Top 50 and take the last spot in my bracket (for now, and I stress for now) over Florida St.
Yes, I am leaving a 9-7 ACC team out. Let's look at the facts though.
Against the Top 100, Hofstra is 7-4, with Florida St. at 6-7.
FSU has the 317th best non-con schedule, Hofstra is at 278 (both awful, but Hofstra less so). Meanwhile the Seminoles' best win outside of the ACC is Nebraska (RPI 111) in a game played in south Florida, while Hofstra's is a road win at LaSalle (RPI 92).
Even with a loss tonight, Hofstra's RPI in the 20s means that it would make no sense to leave them out, even you don't like RPI.
However, if Florida St. wins in a potential ACC quaterfinal against NC State, then you can book 'em.
The next team out in that case: Missouri St. Of course, everything can and will change before Sunday rolls along.
Watch out for St. Peter's and Keydren Clark tonight against Iona. Iona is heavily favored, but Clark is the active career points leader in the NCAA (yes JJ, I am correct), and sixth all-time. The Peacocks also pulled off a shocker last night in beating regular-season champ Manhattan.
Thanks to Davidson for making me look like a genius for my pick in the SoCon tournament.
Without any further ado, here are the brackets:
1. UConn (1) v. 16. Albany
8. Alabama v. 9. Michigan
Salt Lake City
5. Kansas v. 12. Hofstra
4. Washington v. 13. Milwaukee
6. Nevada v. 11. California
3. Texas v. 14. Penn
2. North Carolina v. 15. Davidson
7. Wisconsin v. 10. Northern Iowa
1. Ohio St. (4) v. 16. Fairleigh Dickinson/Southern
8. Seton Hall v. 9. Kentucky
5. Boston College v. 12. Missouri St.
4. West Virginia v. 13. Western Kentucky
6. Marquette v. 11. Texas A&M
3. UCLA v. 14. Pacific
2. Memphis v. 15. Oral Roberts
7. Arkansas v. 10. George Mason
1. Villanova (2) v. 16. Delaware St.
8. Indiana v. 9. Arizona
5. Florida v. 12. Bucknell
4. George Washington v. 13. Northwestern St.
6. Oklahoma v. 11. Bradley
3. LSU v. 14. Iona
2. Illinois v. 15. Murray St.
7. NC State v. 10. Cincinnati
1. Duke (3) v. 16. Belmont
8. Wichita St. v. 9. UAB
5. Pittsburgh v. 12. San Diego St.
4. Iowa v. 13. Kent St.
6. Michigan St. v. 11. UNC Wilmington
3. Tennessee v. 14. Winthrop
Salt Lake City
2. Gonzaga v. 15. Northern Arizona
7. Georgetown v. 10. Southern Illinois